can't make ipv4 dhcp and ipv6 static both exist

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 31 16:26:02 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 10:15 PM, James Knott wrote:
> A couple of things.  First off, my experience is with openSUSE, not
> Debian.  However, in my experience, bridges don't usually have IP
> addresses, as they work at level 2, not 3.

My experience is quite the opposite in regards to bridge interfaces.
Most of the times I'm using a bridge it's because I want to be able to
reach the OS by the same address regardless of what media it is on.
Anyone using an OpenWRT device with wifi we see this as the br0 bridge
interface will have the LAN and Wifi as member interfaces.

> Also, it's generally not
> necessary to use static IPv6 addresses.  The two common methods are MAC
> based and random number addresses.  It is possible to have both on one
> interface.  Of course, the other two options are static and DHCP.  I
> also see you're assigning a gateway address.  Again, that's generally
> not necessary with IPv6, as routers advertise themselves.

Again, just because the environment you've experienced take advantage of
those features, you can't assume what is or is not necessary. Neil has
not provided enough information to guess either way.

Neil, is it necessary for it to be static, or would one of the suggested
auto-configuration methods be satisfactory?

> On my home network, I run a few computers, along with a smart phone and
> tablet and I've never had to configure an IPv6 address or router on any
> of them.  It just works automagically.  I get my IPv6 subnet from a
> tunnel broker and other than the firewall, I didn't have to do any
> address configuration at all.  The router learned my subnet from the
> tunnel and all the devices addresses are MAC based or random and all
> just work.  This is one of the (many) benefits of IPv6.

Neil, I'd love to know which broker you using. Maybe you could let us
know your experience and break it out in to a separate thread for others
to chime in on?

> BTW, I have a /56 subnet, which is 2^72 addresses, or about a trillion
> times the entire IPv4 address space.

My God... it's full of IPs...

> Neil Watson wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> On a debian laptop I have the following interfaces file. For some
>> reason the
>> IPV6 address will not set. Why?

Neil, I would test if it is setting the IPv6 address at all. Comment out
the IPv4 DHCP and make sure the IPv6 config is correct on it's own. I
would then fire up dhclient against the interface and observe it is the
fault of DHCP changing the address after the fact.

What I'm curious about is if it's a side effect issue. IPv6 gets set
immediately as it's static, but then the DHCP takes longer waiting for
the DHCP server, assigns it's address when it get it and clears the IPv6
in the process.

--
Scott Sullivan