Where to find e-Paper [Was: Interested in ereaders]

Molly Tournquist mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 21 00:45:22 UTC 2013

> From: Scott Elcomb > Sent: 10/20/13 04:11 PM
> First, apparently the difference between the two names is that e-Ink
> is trademarked and e-Paper is generic[1].
>
> Pervasive Displays makes e-Paper panels from 1.44" to 10.2" [2]. The
> 10.2" panels are not yet available and as yet I've been unable to
> locate a distributor with 7.4" panels in stock.

Yes, though that makes it sound simple, when it is a little messy. There was a rival eloctronic paper technology, SiPix, but they got bought out by the E-Ink manufacturer. So, one company own the key trademark and the rights(and presumably manufacturing facilities) to two discrete technologies. Also, E-Paper has been used to dubiously refer to plain old nonbacklit monochrome LCD. Okay, that's probably the inherent weakness of it being generic. But other manufacturers, like, portable electronics companies, have been working on their own nonvolatile electronic paper displays.

The 10 inch screen looks particularly interesting, but it turns out sony is apparently brewing up an ereader with a similar, even bigger and somewhat higher res screen:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/a-second-look-at-the-sony-13-3-inch-e-reader
The panel type is "E-ink Mobius". (1600 x 1200)