Where to find e-Paper [Was: Interested in ereaders]

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 20 20:11:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Molly Tournquist
<mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sorry if this is unwelcome here, but any linux integration issues or any local sources for separate e-ink screens would be great to hear about of course.

Last night I stumbled on a bit of information that might be useful to
the makers amongst us interested in e-Ink(tm) / e-Paper displays.

First, apparently the difference between the two names is that e-Ink
is trademarked and e-Paper is generic[1].

Pervasive Displays makes e-Paper panels from 1.44" to 10.2" [2].  The
10.2" panels are not yet available and as yet I've been unable to
locate a distributor with 7.4" panels in stock.

Seeed Studio caries some of the smaller panels (though are currently
out of stock) [3].  They do have the "small epaper shield" in stock
which will drive the 1.44" - 2.7" panels[4].

Digi-Key carries the panels between 1.44" and 7.4" (no 7.4" in-stock
though) [5] and several kits, including for the 2.7" [6] and 4.41" [7]
panels for $37 and $65 respectively.

There is also a kit from Pervasive Displays and Texas Instruments
called "AdapTag" [8]. At $312.50 [9] it's a bit pricey but comes with
a fair bit - including one each of the 1.44", 2.0" and 2.7" panels.

One last item, Seeed Studio has an Arduino e-Ink shield[10] in stock for $49.90

[1] <http://pinocc.io/community/discussion/comment/452>
[2] <http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/products/panels>
[3] <http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=0&keyword=e-Paper&x=-970&y=-60>
[4] <http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/small-epaper-shield-p-1597.html>