A keystroke away from Doom.

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 18 18:57:30 UTC 2013

On 18 October 2013 13:32, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> So, I just discovered crontab -r.
>
> While working on a new cron job, I wanted to check what I had done for my
personal user account on my personal server. I login, type crontab -e, or
so I had though until I didn't get the editor. On a standard Qwerty
Keyboard, the 'e' and the 'r' are right next to each other. '-e' edit, '-r'
deletes  the users crontab, and of course I typo'd it.

> Small things like this can make or break your day, and stresses that
'RAID' is not a back-up, and the importance of having back-ups! Most of you
know this, but for those have forgotten or are new, just remember your a
keystroke away from doom.

> ------
>
> I want to thank Hugh for his inspiring 'War Story' posts. It was those
that made me think to post this little Gem. What are your worst keystroke
stories?

> P.S. Dvorak users, you can stop laughing now.

Eh - using Dvorak just means that we have a totally different set of weird
typos to beware of.  I'm not laughing at you because of that - I'm laughing
at you because you don't have backups.  (Seriously - you gotta do something
about that.)

Keystroke stories ... imagine learning vi on a Dvorak keyboard.  H is where
your J is.  J is where your C is.  K is where your V is, and L is where
your P is.  So much for physical layout having anything to do with the
associated directions!  I could have remapped the directional keys, but
then I would have had to drag those mappings with me from machine to
machine, and I'd be terribly confused until I got the mapping installed.
So I just learned it as is.  And I studiously avoid using vim on a Qwerty
keyboard because that's when I wipe out entire files in command mode with
burned-in muscle memory of the wrong keys ...  Where's the "U" again?

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org