war story: my new off-the-shelf desktop computer

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 15 00:46:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 00:37:38 -0400 (EDT)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> My current desktop is just fine.  But it is over 5 years old and
> I was getting wanderlust.  Then I saw this thread and similar ones:
>  <http://forums.redflagdeals.com/629-fs-hp-envy-h8-1569-desktop-computer-i7-3770-12gb-ram-2tb-hdd-16gb-ssd-1374552/>
>
> I bought off ebay.ca, from that seller (SurplusByDesign, a front for
> Staples), an HP Envy 700-019.  It differs a little bit from that
> thread's computer.  Here's mine:
>   <http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=5368230#!tab=specs>

Hugh,

    I replaced the motherboard on my desktop (http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson/RevLinux/) recently.  I was very impressed at how easy it was.  All the connectors were clearly labelled.  The memory sticks all had big heat sinks on them that made nice handles.  There was no need to touch the PCB.

    There has been some serious DFMA (Design for Manufacture and Assembly) going on in the computer world.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard.gibson-PadmjKOQAFnQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org