Building cross reference -- how?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 14 07:09:04 UTC 2013

| From: William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
| To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org, kwlug-disc-BDyrTanuHcXYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org

Addressing mail to two lists causes problems.  My last reply bounced
from the kw list -- I hadn't realized that I'd sent it there.

| On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 01:03:46PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > What's wrong with the multiple fgrep solution that you came up with?
| > The answer might help us understand your problem better.
|
| Nothing wrong with grep solution, really.  It's better than awk
| solution,
|     awk '$0 ~ re1 && $0 ~ re2 {print}'
| because awk is doing 2 full passes whereas grep is doing somewhere
| between 1 and 2 passes.

I don't know what you mean by passes.  I guess you mean: scans of a
line in the buffer.  That's generally cheap.  The number of times you
read the file is more expensive.  Both read it once.

&& is a conditional AND, so the right side will only be
evaluated if the left is true (probably rare).

| But, I think this road is "dead end".

That implies you are wanting to go somewhere, but we cannot help if we
don't know where that is.