Fwd: Re: [u-u] Games... (fwd)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 12 02:09:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> No, it didn't make it to the list.
<snip>
> I asked the UU folks about Linux games the other day, and I probably
> should ask GTALUG as well, for their opinion on Linux games available in
> source form...

Could you provide some example "ideal" games as examples? I'm also
curious as to the nature of the supporting library. What does the demo
hope to achieve?

> On 10/11/2013 05:07 PM, Colin McGregor wrote:
>> At the last UU Meeting David Collier-Brown wondered about multi-player
>> Linux games where the source code was available. Let me note a few to
>> get things rolling:
>>
>> - Battle  for Wesnoth: http://www.wesnoth.org/ . A turn based strategy
>> - Quake III Arena : https://github.com/id-Software/Quake-III-Arena .
>> Other open source multi-player game suggestions?

Some Additions:

- BZFlag [1][2]
- Scrabble 3D [3]
- Atomic Tanks [4]
- Zero Ballistics [5][6]
- Xonotic [7][8] (a successor to Nexuiz [9])
- 0 A.D. [10][11] is currently running a campaign on Indiegogo, rasing
funds for Software In The Public Interest [12]

Future Possibilities:

Super Tux Kart is apparently working on multiplayer. [13]

Leadwerks is making the jump [14] in an effort to encourage more game
development on Linux. AFAIK it won't be open source, but games
developed with it may be. They're also currently running a contest
among their current Windows and Mac users, called "A Machine for
Penguins". [15]

[1] <http://bzflag.org/>
[2] <http://sourceforge.net/projects/bzflag/>
[3] <http://sourceforge.net/projects/scrabble/>