Ebooks on Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 10 20:53:55 UTC 2013

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| > BTW, the book was "Computer Networks" 5th edition, by Andrew Tanenbaum
| > (of Minix fame) and David Wethereral (the course instructor).
|
| Hmm, I have never seen a paperback version.  I think mine is a 1st or
| 2nd edition.

Didn't you know that physical books are region-coded, just like DVDs?

Paperback versions of many important texts are sold cheaply in
developing countries.  In this case, the book came from India.

The publishers really really want to stop the transfer of these cheap
copies into their main markets.  Just like region coding.

In the US, Wiley recently lost a case on this matter due to the "First
Sale Doctrine".  It went all the way to the Supreme Court.

<http://www.amazon.ca/s?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Andrew%20S.%20Tanenbaum&search-alias=books-ca>

I have no idea how this would play out in Canada.  I do remember that
in the 1970s publishers and authors in Canada were really upset at
Coles bookstores for importing remaindered books by Canadian authors
into Canada from the US.  I don't remember how that turned out.

PS: a Canadian author, Alice Munro, just won the Nobel Prize for
Literature.