Ebooks on Linux

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 10 14:08:45 UTC 2013

> Speaking from a strictly ethical perspective, I think one should be
> able to circumvent TPM's (for lawful purposes) on content legally
> purchased. The problem here is that much content is not sold online -
> instead licenses to access that content is sold.

Think the proper way is to avoid buying DRM books. Seriously,  I think this
is one industry that we should not whine about.  Well, till they stop
selling dead tree format.

Buying DRM books and then stripping the DRM just encourage them to keep at
it.

Walking away from locked email is far more effective that even law.

http://www.teleread.com/copy-right/it-is-now-illegal-to-break-drm-on-e-books-in-canada/

http://toc.oreilly.com/2012/11/hacking-drm-ebook-piracy-ereading-platforms.html

> "Canada's New Copyright Laws and its Implications for Linux and Open
> Source" will be presented at FSOSS in 2 weeks:
> <http://fsoss.senecac.on.ca/2013//node/167>
>
> DRM & TPM Issues from the Privacy Commisioner of Canada:
> <http://www.priv.gc.ca/resource/fs-fi/02_05_d_32_e.asp>
>
> Regarding DRM and the future of the web:
> <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/10/lowering-your-standards>

William