Ebooks on Linux

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 9 23:43:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Randy Jonasz <rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Archambault.ca, a provider of French
> ebooks in Canada, restricts reading to THEIR reader software.  No
> linux version version either.  Now I have found software which will
> strip the DRM from epub, pdf and Kindle books.  It works quite well.
> Now I can read on linux with whatever software I please.  What are the
> ethics of removing the DRM from books?  What are the legal
> implications in Canada of doing this?

Speaking from a strictly ethical perspective, I think one should be
able to circumvent TPM's (for lawful purposes) on content legally
purchased. The problem here is that much content is not sold online -
instead licenses to access that content is sold.

If you don't own it as property you don't have much recourse.

In any event, this article may speak more directly to your question on
legality: <http://www.teleread.com/copy-right/it-is-now-illegal-to-break-drm-on-e-books-in-canada/>

~ Related bits ~

Noted on O'Reilly
<http://toc.oreilly.com/2012/11/hacking-drm-ebook-piracy-ereading-platforms.html>

"Canada's New Copyright Laws and its Implications for Linux and Open
Source" will be presented at FSOSS in 2 weeks:
<http://fsoss.senecac.on.ca/2013//node/167>

DRM & TPM Issues from the Privacy Commisioner of Canada:
<http://www.priv.gc.ca/resource/fs-fi/02_05_d_32_e.asp>

Regarding DRM and the future of the web:
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/10/lowering-your-standards>

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more