GeeNifty: Override Firefox's Newtab page for a custom page.

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 3 04:46:48 UTC 2013

On 10/02/2013 08:58 PM, Glen Strom wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 16:47:43 -0400
> Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> So question to the List:
>>
>> Given a similar situation, what conveniences would you have put
>> together?
>>

>> [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/About_URI_scheme
>>        ^ Some real interesting ones in here.
>>

> It sounds like you might want an extension called Speed Dial.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/speed-dial/

Interesting Addon, but not fit for the purpose outlined. It adds way to
much visual clutter and is limited to only nine items. Business
workflows can not be so cleanly organized nor that limited.

I'll build on this by explaining what page I'm loading. I'm using a
simple markdown[2] formatted listing of the various (20-25) sites I use
both frequently and infrequently, organized by category. Having the link
is important, seeing what it is not. I use a simple shell script to wrap
html around the markdown text (converted to html). This allows for quick
iteration and pruning.

This is something I would normally rely on the web-broswers
auto-complete history for. But that gets crufty fast.

This really is an example of a domain specific solution. Based on that
I'm still curious to hear what other TLUGers might have done or found
for similar conveniences.

[2]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/
--
Scott Sullivan