GeeNifty: Override Firefox's Newtab page for a custom page.

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 2 20:47:43 UTC 2013

So I'd say most of us are familiar with changing the default home page
in our browsers. In my case I usually explicitly set it to about:blank[1].

Lately at work I've gotten tired of the traditional Bookmarks for all
the web-portals I interact with, and instead wanted a custom portal page
from which to jump off from. Now I could set the home page to this
custom page, but it would only load it the creation of a new window.

For this portal page to be truly useful, I wanted it on every new blank tab.

The graphical prefrence menu is no help here, thankfully I learned long
ago that is not the end to settings. For example, of the many about:
urls is about:config. And sure enough, in there was just the setting I
was looking for.

Preference Name: browser.newtab.url

Now I'm happy with being only a newtab away most of the sites I use. No
silly bookmark menu sub-folder navigating.

So question to the List:

Given a similar situation, what conveniences would you have put together?

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/About_URI_scheme
      ^ Some real interesting ones in here.

--
Scott Sullivan