A Brief History of Open-Source Code [Infographic]

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 1 18:09:21 UTC 2013

On 13-10-01 01:43 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Why are javascript commits so large compared with, say, Java commits?

Well, they do like to copy and paste … ;-)

> Influence?  XML was not influenced by HTML?  Seems surprising.

They both have SGML as a common ancestor. I suspect it's still possible
to describe the most abstruse XML in terms of an SGML application. One
might even manage to describe JSON as an XML application, if one must.

> CSS not influenced by HTML?

CSS owes more to DSSSL, though it does reference HTML entities. DSSSL
was fairly vile: Scheme syntax with style blocks peppered through it
like rat's droppings. Given the tiny number of CS types employed in
publishing, it only saw limited general use. I'm not even sure a
complete implementation of the ISO standard was ever made.

These details would make a pretty infographic too complex, though.

 Stewart