A Brief History of Open-Source Code [Infographic]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 1 17:43:08 UTC 2013

| From: Glen Strom <gstrom57-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| http://www.kinvey.com/blog/3242/a-brief-history-of-open-source-code-infographic

I assumed that this meant programming language.  It doesn't seem to
(HTML, XML, ...).  So why not include English?

Beyond that, what amazes me is how many "languages" are around the 10%
mark.  Zipf's Law is not obeyed.

Oh, and how C has shrunk (or not grown proportionately -- hard to tell
which).  Yet all those folks have not switched to a single
alternative.

I don't imagine that EMACS lisp was anywhere near as big in 1993 as
indicated.

Why are javascript commits so large compared with, say, Java commits?

Influence?  XML was not influenced by HTML?  Seems surprising.  CSS
not influenced by HTML?  Autoconf not influenced by MAKE?  The whole
influenced thing seems more inaccurate than illuminating.

All this suggests to me that whatever is being measured by OHLOH.NET
(shouting as in the original) has much connection to what I would
consider reality.