encryption for home partition and backups

Alex Volkov avolkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 30 02:02:41 UTC 2013

Hello Everyone

I'm using a laptop running Debian Jesse on an LVM (with separate /home and
swap partitions).

Is it possible to convert current system to encrypted /home and swap
volumes without reinstalling everything from scratch? I'm fine with copying
all the existing data to an external hard drive reformatting the partition
to something that supports encryption and then copying everything back.
If found cryptosetup and LUCKS being mentioned in several places, has
anyone tried using these tools?

As a related question, is it possible to have an encrypted file on an
existing filesystem which I can access by mounting and then dumping rsync
stream into it? Sort of what TrueCrypt is doing only 100% open source and
preferably implemented using fusefs.

Thanks,

Alex.