[u-u] OT: Video Disc Player and discs

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 28 15:48:32 UTC 2013

On 13-11-28 08:25 AM, Todd Howe wrote:

> So much interesting tech binned - Beta machines could be as digital
> audio masters as well at the time (?!)

Video tape was about the only thing that had the bandwidth that stereo
digital audio needed. It wasn't just Beta; U-Matic and VHS would work.

Fun fact: the 44.1 kHz audio standard sampling rate because it was an
exact multiple of both NTSC and PAL frame/field rates. It was easy to
write to commodity video tape systems for CD mastering.

Old tech is fun to read about, but balky and sullen to own and use. I'm
glad I can say that I've booted a MicroVAX from TK50 tape, and equally
glad that I'll never have to do it again. I still get pangs when I
encounter jewel-like Nagra tape decks and ancient wire recorders at flea
markets — but the former will always be too expensive, and the latter
far too heavy to move.

cheers,
 Stewart