OT: Video Disc Player and discs

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 28 15:34:42 UTC 2013

Pictures:

http://www.videointerchange.com/images/ced.jpg

http://gizwizbiz.squarespace.com/storage/SelectavisionRCA-ad.jpg

I'm not sure there was more than one player in the three years it was in
existence - these are the same as the one we have here.  Both pictures show
discs as well as the player.

The cartridge is reminiscent of the eight track, but in this case after
inserting the disc you pull the cartridge back out while the disc remains
in the player.  And after you've watched half the movie, you have to put
the cartridge in, take the disc out, flip it, put the cartridge and disc
back in, pull the the cartridge out ... and then play the second side of
the disc.  Video quality (per Wikipedia) is on par with VHS-SP - but as the
system requires physical contact, I guess the discs will eventually degrade.

The discs are 12" in diameter and quite heavy.  If you're thinking vinyl
discs (a reasonable idea), I'd say 2.5 times as heavy.

gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org