[u-u] OT: Video Disc Player and discs

Hugh Gamble hugh-+oaQStku59NWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 27 22:38:48 UTC 2013

CAV or CLV?

From: u-u-bounces-nUbHFpetmNumKAeH2fHhIti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org [mailto:u-u-bounces-nUbHFpetmNumKAeH2fHhIti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org]
On Behalf Of Giles Orr
Sent: November-27-13 5:19 PM
To: tlug; UU
Subject: [u-u] OT: Video Disc Player and discs

Some co-workers of mine found an RCA Video Disc Player (NOT Laser Disc, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc ) and some discs.
It works - we tested it.  While I'm fascinated by the technology involved
(and so assume some percentage of other geeks will likewise be fascinated),
I don't need another piece of outdated technology in my house.  If anyone
wants it, it comes with copies of "Dragonslayer," "Vertigo" (first disc
only!), "WarGames," "2010," and "Close Encounters."  Pick up at North York
Civic Centre, free.  (It's fairly heavy.)

Even if you're not interested, I encourage you to skim the Wikipedia entry:
it's interesting to think how different things would be had RCA succeeded in
getting this thing to market in the 1960s as they should have done - instead
of in 1981 when it had to compete with LaserDisc, VHS, and Betamax.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org