Zero access Rootkit

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 26 19:46:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 02:06:18PM -0500, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> Sir, we were a 24/7 production environment back in sri lanka in the BOI
> with a Belgian company that brought in rough uncut diamonds and we cut and
> polished then sent them back. The back-ups were taken meticulously and
> TESTED each day right after but I feel maybe the level of mositure present
> in the atmosphere and the dust and all other forms of fungus and bacteria
> in a tropical country may have over time contributed to the read errors.
> But yes you are right a back up should always be tested and maybe not just
> the once but at regular periodic intervals like I do now :-)

And of course a good backup tape job verifies the tape as part of the
backup.  Fortunately LTO does that automatically as part of writing and
even writes extra copies of blocks if it detects an unreliable part of
tape has just been used.

Helical scan tape systems like DSS and exabyte simply should not be used.
They are junk.

--
Len Sorensen