Zero access Rootkit

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 26 18:18:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:47:08PM -0500, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> *Agreed fully but I was thinking since this trojan supposedly installs a
> root-kit the best thing would be to wipe the disk completely and in the
> good old dos days it was as simple as fdisk /mbr which was undocumented
> back then but did the job and well. *

Which was a simple overwrite of sector 0 (not including the partition
table part).

> *I did not mean writing 0's when I said a LLF what I meant was a true LLF
> where the disk is completely wiped and  *reinitialized *to factory state
> :-)*

Reinitialized is NOT a low level format.  Also doing even that is
complete overkill.  Simply overwriting the disk with zeroes is plenty,
and even that is overkill.  Writing a new filesystem and partition table
would be enough to wipe any link to any software on the disk.

And yes fdisk /mbr used to overwrite the boot sector with a default
loader and hence would wipe out any boot sector virus present there.

--
Len Sorensen