pluto & ipsec gpl violations; D.H.Redelmeier + Henry Spencer

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 21 06:22:25 UTC 2013

| From: Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I have been working on taking apart the gpl violation mountain which is one
| of these balky little mips based dsl+wifi soho router boxes to fix a bug,
| which I succeeded to do. Inside I found an unadvertised ipsec tunnelling
| facility which seems to be activated implicitly when a static ip is used.

Which box?  Where is it sold?

| I am curious what you people think of your gpl licensed (it says so!)
| scripts and other code ending up in strange places with no attribution, no
| remuneration, no apology, and no recourse?!

I don't need attribution (beyond copyright notice) or remuneration or
apology IFF the GPL license is followed.  Of course those would be nice.

I do care about the GPL.

|  I am really curious who here, if any (!), having a normal
| soho dsl or cable box, is NOT using some gpl busting busybox with no source.
| I am not even counting legit openwrt etc. users, regardless what that is
| installed on.

There is a project to Busybox re-implemented without GPLed code.
<http://www.elinux.org/Busybox_replacement_project>

| I am somewhat miffed by the hypocrysy of the whole broadband internet
| business which seems to exist mostly due to these boxes which are truly
| *everyhwere* and even undersell an arduino with ease.

Which hypocrisy?  I think that there might be several.