An interesting "war story" about MIPS + Mono

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 15 17:36:45 UTC 2013

Christopher Browne wrote:
> Those that are interested in the strangeness of machine language
> instructions will find this very interesting.  Entertainingly, this is
> a long standing problem that was fixed very recently, once a "defect"
> was determined to be in some of the Chinese-made MIPS CPUs.
>
> http://apebox.org/wordpress/rants/545/

I've never worked with MIPS, but I used to work a lot with Data General
Nova & Eclipse machine language.  It had some curious instructions.  I
even worked down at the microcode level on the Eclipes, which can be
really *FUN*.  :-)

I also used to work a lot with the Intel 8080 machine code on my Imsai
8080 and also some exposure to 6502 & 6809 in my courses at Ryerson.  It
can be an interesting area to work in, where you have direct control
over the CPU.

BTW, I also found a bug in the National Semiconductor 8250 UART, which
was originally used in the PC.  I reported it to them, but I have no
idea if they fixed it, as I developed a work around.  This was on an 8
port serial port board I designed & built for my Imsai.