Stallman about surveillance

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 6 17:47:38 UTC 2013

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> We used to have some "no break" power systems at work.  These consisted
>> > of a motor turning an alternator and an 8 ton flywheel.  There was also
>> > a diesel engine.  When the power failed, a clutch connected the diesel
>> > to the flywheel, which started the diesel very quickly.  The flywheel
>> > also kept the alternator turning to maintain power.
> I wonder what kind of loss a system like that had when it was not
> being used.

Well, it lost time, as induction motors rotate at slightly under the
power frequency (or fraction).  This meant we had to modify some Data
General computers that used the power line for the real time clock.  We
had a relay that switched that clock to the regular hydro when available
and onto no break when needed.  Beyond that, there's just be the typical
motor/generator set losses.