Noise reduction redux

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri May 31 03:24:42 UTC 2013

  Earlier this month I asked about de-noising software.  This goes off
on a tangent, but is related, so here goes...

* On bright sunny days, the JPEG image seems washed out, i.e.
  overexposed, and I have to back off approximately a full F-Stop when
  importing manually with the UFRAW plugin in GIMP, to get a decent
  image.

* A few days ago I went and took some test shots on a sunny day at a
  local park, with various exposure compensations.  At -1 F-Stop
  compensation, the JPEG images were finally OK, with the sky actually
  being blue rather that off-white.  Plus the rest of the image was
  properly exposed.

  There are 3 ways of cutting down the amount of light sensed...
1) Faster shutter speed; let's avoid that option for now
2) Tighter aperture; but the Canon S100 only goes to F8
3) Lower ISO; which automatically reduces noise... tada