OT: Canadians asked to accept spam?!

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 26 21:08:32 UTC 2013

So from my brief stay in .ca and longer stays in other places I can say that:

- Any mail service can become highly competitive if it starts delivering
small parcels to people's doors. Size should be limited, standard padded
envelope, etc, but 90% of gadgets home delivered can be delivered by the
post office. One such overgrown post office 'offspring' is DHL which
literally a spawn of the German state mail system's privatized splinter. We
all know who DHL is. Why not Canada Parcel Post? Chop some red tape and
union pie and you have it. Plus Canada really needs such a service due to
its size imho.

Incidentally, all state mail services are subsidized somewhat but all are
under pressure to privatize, in Europe too. And most state operated mail
services have all the union and political burden I saw in .ca . So nothing
new there, but DHL is a pretty good example how far a splinter can fly from
the trunk...

- I was not happy, while in Canada, that small post offices were franchised
to people (in central .TO) who barely spoke English. I'd expect people who
operate a post office to be fluent in at least one of the national
languages, and possibly take an appropriate exam in that domain to be
licensed or franchised. Same thing for pharmacy clerks, imho., and both with
VERY good reason. I have my experiences there too. Scary ones.

It's all so simple and so easy when viewed from a distance. A 'new pair of
eyes'?

-- Peter