BeagleBone Black - WAS: Time for Pi

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed May 22 16:27:26 UTC 2013

On 05/22/2013 12:19 PM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 05/22/2013 10:32 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 09:15:32AM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
>>>
>>> That chip does run quite warm though, even when it's not under heavy
>>> load.  I need to follow Len's advice and find a way to get a heat sink
>>> on it.  There are no supports, anyone have any idea where I could get
>>> one or how to mount it?
>>
>> Hmm, lots of places certainly claim it does not need a heatsink.
>>
>> I know it is possible to buy small heatsinks which could then be glued on
>> (hopefully with glue that can be removed again and which tolerates heat).
>>

> Many of the kits I've seen use two-sided adhesive thermal pads. Many
> heatsinks come with them pre-applied.
>
> There have been vendors taking advantage of supplying kits for the
> Raspberry Pi and the Xbox 360 (know for needing replacements after Red
> Ring of Death repairs).
>
> Just some random links I found, you should do your own hunting.

Or go to the source. Digikey heat sink search filtered with BGA package
type and adhesive tape included. Just filter further with the size of
the BBB's chip size.

http://www.digikey.ca/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?pv357=260&pv623=17&FV=fff40012%2Cfff80068&k=heat+sink&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

--
Scott Sullivan