BeagleBone Black - WAS: Time for Pi

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 21 20:05:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 02:41:14PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Just what "this business" is isn't clear to me, a casual googler.
>
> <http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4401444/TI-cuts-1-700-jobs-in-OMAP-shift?pageNumber=0>
>
> There are many more hits about these announcements, but what they mean
> technically isn't obvious.
>
> This seems to have been announced quite recently:
> <http://www.ti.com/tool/omap5432-evm>
>
> Nice little board.  Too bad about the price (US$329).

OK, so it says they are getting out of the smartphone/tablet market and
focusing on the embedded market.  That makes sense.

With the nvidia tegra, the qualcom snapdragon, the various samsung chips,
and the freescale i.MX line, there is already a lot of competition in
that market, and if you don't also do cell radios as part of your design,
you probably have no chance.

TI seems to be doing some interesting new chips with network IO for
embedded use, which of course has no interest to cell phone makers, and
might be more interesting as arm moves into the server market and such.

I would think the CPU on the BBB actually fits pretty well with the
embedded market and not nearly as well in the cell phone market, so it
should be safe for now.

--
Len Sorensen