Debian hell :-)

David Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 20 20:28:18 UTC 2013

I finally went and did it...

Picked up 4 new 1TB drives + SSD + new MOBO (needed 6 SATA ports) +
new CPU (Athlon II X3) and (after many frustrating hours) I'm mostly
happy... ($650 lighter, but happy).

except, the whole reason to do this was to get ZFS, and
http://zfsonlinux.org/debian.html has a simple couple steps to do, and
everything would be fine... except, it works on amd64, not x86 and
this system was previously an Atom, so I had it as x86.

It took me a long time to figure this out.
          apt-get install debian-zfs
politely says:
    Package debian-zfs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    is only available from another source

    E: Package 'debian-zfs' has no installation candidate

Eventually, I figured out that this meant that it is not available FOR
THIS ARCH!  In the meantime, I wondered if I'd set up the sources.list
wrong, or had a corrupt apt database, etc.

So now I need to move to amd64.  I found a convient page:
http://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit but the first step is to
download a 64-bit kernel, so I try:
        apt-get install linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
with similar results to before.  So I try
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-amd64 to download, but
the file it points to is 5Kb long.

Sigh... I like debian, I really do, but there's sometimes too much
magic going on for those of us who only actually poke at it every few
months.

Thanks for any guidance.  I'd really like to get this running.  (And
I'd like to install parted, but I get the same message there as
before).

../Dave