Time for Pi

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 19 17:34:02 UTC 2013

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

| On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 04:14:14AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote
|
| > Don't trash the machine.
| >
| > Various not-for-profit hardware re-use locations should be happy to
| > accept it.
| >
| > Even I might like it.
|
| http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/ca/en/cabsdt1/servicetag/HLD6HD1?s=BIZ

Thanks for that reference -- it provides detailed information.

The E2140 processor is a "Pentium Dual Core", a close relative of the
first Core 2 processors.  In my mind, Core 2's introduction was when
Intel processors started to be clearly better than AMD processors.
1.6GHz is a little slow by today's standards, but not horrible.
64-bit instruction set.  No virualization hardware :-(

The box appears to have one PCI Express x16 slot, so you can add a
decent video card.  (It also has a PCIe x1 slot and two PCI slots.)
You probably have a Windows license for it too.  So I'm sure that it
could handle your HDTV needs.

|  If you can use it, or scavenge parts from it, you're
| welcome to pick it up for free.  I'm near Dufferin+Steeles.

I was by there yesterday.  Oh well.

I'll take it if you don't find a more worthy recipient.