Time for Pi

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 19 13:47:49 UTC 2013

On 13-05-18 08:20 PM, Tim Tisdall wrote:

>     Those are intriguing.  I've not tried them.  Not as much of a culture
>     of open-source hacking.

These little ARM sticks are all well and good, but how does the support
compare to the huge and active Raspberry Pi community?

One of the advantages that the Raspberry Pi has is that its hardware
isn't changing too much. I've had mine for just shy of a year, and the
improvements in hardware support and stability have been colossal. In
that time, I've seen four or five new models of these ARM sticks — all
very open, sure, but the hardware gets upgraded so frequently that there
won't be much incentive to develop stable firmwares when something
faster and cheaper will be out in a month.

I also like that the Raspberry Pi is backed by a non-profit educational
foundation. The goal of the Raspberry Pi is to get kids programming
again, no matter how many middle-aged linux geeks use it for building
video players ☺ If you've ever seen kinds messing about with PyGame on a
Raspberry Pi, it's the whole home computer thing all over again.

cheers,
 Stewart