Time for Pi

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun May 19 06:48:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 01:11:49AM -0400, Nicholas wrote

> If you want to run your Pi as a media system, you should look into
> buying Codec licenses from raspberrypi.org -- this will activate the
> hardware video decoding acceleration for smooth video.  Also, try
> to use the audio-over-HDMI capability for a home theatre system --
> the audio-out jack doesn't have much in the way of an amplifier on
> that circuit, so if you use it instead of HDMI-audio you may need
> a pre-amp.

  I have an Intel i3 machine as my HTPC.  It seems a waste most of the
time.  How good is the Pi's video acceleration for Flash?  I'm talking
stuff like NHL GameCenter Live.  It has 4 available rates on the i3
machine; 400/800/1600/3000 kbits/sec.  I'm about to get rid of an almost
6-year-old Core 2 machine, and haul it off to the York Region ewaste
depot.  It still "works", but can only handle the lowest NHL GameCenter
Live speed.  And even that requires "Gentoo ricer" optimization.  And
forget about 1080p Youtube videos.