(question) Ethernet cable wiring

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 19 04:51:41 UTC 2013

About the only time you will need a crossover cable is if you're
connecting two 10 Mb/s jacks.  Almost everything that's 100 Mb/s has
auto-sensing, making cross-over cables obsolete.  You should use
straight-through cables from the wall jack to your devices.

Do yourself a favour and wire the premises with T568A. Do yourself
another favour and put a connection panel at your router location (then
use straight-through patch cables to connect the router to the panel).
Some panels have the jacks labeled with both A and B colours, some large
panels (24, 48 jack) have only labels for A.  I believe the TIA standard
recognizes only T568A, with T568B only for crossover.

My "Oh no, not another learning experience" story: I expanded the
network at a location that had only 10 jacks (and no disconnect panel,
only a bunch of cables with RJ45 plugs coming out of the wall).  The new
48 jack panel was labeled only with T568A colours, so we started wiring
the new jacks as T568A as well. Of course, it turns out the old wiring
was T568B (which seems to be common for premises wiring), so we
re-punched the new jacks to T568B as well (fortunately, we caught the
discrepancy before we'd installed too many). So now I had to wire the
panel as T568B as well. Except for two jacks in the *old* wiring, which
turned out to be T568A, probably in error. Nobody had ever noticed
because those two jacks were in an inaccessible location, making it
impractical to rewire them.  So I hope the next wiring technician to
come along and see all the mis-labeled punches (except for those other
two) reads the documentation before disparaging the network installer
before him...

For bulk network installation tools and supplies I use Primespec in
Waterloo (which is local for me).
http://www.primespec.com/products/structured-wiring

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413