Time for Pi

John Martin martjh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 19 01:24:37 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 13-05-18 11:11 AM, John Martin wrote:
>>
>> You could skip the PS, connect the Pi to a laptop by USB to micro-USB
>> for power, and CAT5 for network (the Pi is auto-sensing) and SSH into
>> it.
>
>> Needs a bit of network sharing on the laptop.
>
> Which I had working fine on the Mac, but it's eluding me so far on this
> Ubuntu notebook. Any hints, please?

Your Ubuntu notebook has WiFi and a wired Ethernet port I would guess.
I'm doing this from a Linux Mint setup but if I remember, Ubuntu shows
an "Edit Network Connections" option when you click the networking
notification on the bar at the top. You should see "Wired" and
"Wireless". Leave "Wireless" alone as that's how you connect to the
Internet. Select "Wired", then click options and you should see
"Editing Wired connection 1" (or similar). Look under the IPv4
Settings tab. Under Method, change to "Share to other computers".
That's it. The OS looks after all the routing. Your Pi, which should
be set for DHCP, will be assigned an IP of 10.0.42.42 (or 10.42.0.42,
I don't remember - ifconfig will give you clues). I think I had to
invoke nmap to actually discover that. Look for an open Port 22.

To go back to using the wired port as a regular wired network
connection, change it back to "Automatic (DHCP)".

I hope this helps.

John