Time for Pi

Marcelo Cavalcante kalibslack-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 18 10:21:50 UTC 2013

Hello Evan,

As Nicholas said, i think you won't be able to run kde.  Sure, you can
install it if you have enough SD space, and sure, you can launch it. But
don't expect to click on the K menu and see the menu appearing   In one
second.

You can try it yourself and see what will gonna happen. Just to let you
know, I have a model B running arch linux with fluxbox. Also dedicated 2gb
of my SD only to work as a swap partition. And, in this  case, i'm still
not brave enough to start my fluxbox and run more then 3 GUI apps at the
same time, and I meant 3 light GUI apps, for example Midore instead of
Firefox, etc.

And even with fluxbox, it's kind of slow.

But,  you can always try it yourself. But I really think you won't get a
good performance running KDE on it, maybe if you wait them to release the
"light" kde. I'm also waiting for it.
https://trello.com/board/klyde/515be014e9d9a5cf48007e01

Best regards and good luck,

Em sábado, 18 de maio de 2013, Nicholas escreveu:

> Hi Evan,
>
> If you live in Toronto, I highly recommend buying your Raspberry Pi at
> Creatron, at College & Spadina.  It'll cost you $5-10 more than ordering
> from a distributor, but it's worth it to not have to deal with shipping
> (which will cost you anyway).  Also: instant gratification!
>
> If you want to run your Pi as a media system, you should look into
> buying Codec licenses from raspberrypi.org -- this will activate the
> hardware video decoding acceleration for smooth video.  Also, try to use
> the audio-over-HDMI capability for a home theatre system -- the
> audio-out jack doesn't have much in the way of an amplifier on that
> circuit, so if you use it instead of HDMI-audio you may need a pre-amp.
>
> As for cases, we at Hacklab.to have been laser-cutting cases out of
> acrylic, using a design created by AdaFruit.  Scott Sullivan has been
> awesome with this, and has produced most of the cases that are now
> adorning RP's around the lab.  If you drop him a line (scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org<javascript:;>
> ),
> assuming he has some available he might be willing to part with a case
> or two for a small sum to cover his time/cost, or a couple of beers.
> Scott offered to cut a case for me when I bought an RP and it turned out
> *great*, so hopefully he still produces them.
>
> There are also commercial cases available from lots of hobby electronics
> places (including Creatron), so you should hunt around.  I like the
> AdaFruit case best, but the Pibow (
> http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pibow ) is a pretty gorgeous second
> choice.
>
> With regards to KDE... eh, maybe.  I kind of doubt it.  Mine runs a
> lightweight window manager and kind of strains to keep up with anything
> that needs heavy computing power, or is graphics intensive.  But you
> should experiment and find out!  Maybe someone has already proved me
> wrong?  Worst case scenario is that you yank out the SD card and dd a
> new Raspbian image to it.
>
> Which reminds me -- you'll want an SD card.  I got a high speed Phillips
> 16GB SD card from Fortune Computers (also at College & Spadina) for $10.
>  It does a pretty good job.
>
> --Nicholas
>

> On 18/05/13 12:40 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > OK, you've convinced me. I wanna get a Raspberry Pi. Maybe more than
> > one. Probably to play around with, but maybe ultimately as a home
> > theatre client running Rasplex.
> >
> > Now ... about procurement...
> >
> > The two sites that are the direct sellers -- Newark and Allied -- both
> > appear to make you create an account before they'll tell you shipping
> > costs. What are they? Is one suppier clearly better than the other? Is
> > there any clear advantage to multiple people pooling into one order?
> >
> > (I'm looking to get a Model B)
> >
> > Is the system fast enough to run KDE?
> >
> > And finally ... what are people doing for cases?

> [...]

Marcelo Cavalcante Rocha - Kalib

Pós-Graduando em Governança de Tecnologia da Informação - ESTÁCIO/FIC
Graduado em Sistemas de Informações - ESTÁCIO/FIC
Usuário Linux #407564 | Usuário Asterisk #1148
Fortaleza - Ceará - Brazil
Celular: +55 085 87620983
Certificações: ITIL
V3<http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3QualificationLevels/ITILV3FoundationQualificationinITServiceManagement.aspx>
 | CSM <http://www.scrumalliance.org/> | LPI-C1 <http://www.lpi.org/> |
LPI-C2 <http://www.lpi.org/> | LPI-C3 <http://www.lpi.org/> | Novell
CLA<http://www.novell.com/training/certinfo/cla/>
Minha Pessoa: Blog <http://www.marcelocavalcante.net>
Projetos: Tux-CE <http://www.tux-ce.org> |
Archlinux-br<http://www.archlinux-br.org>
 | Chakra <http://www.chakra-project.org/> | KDE Brasil <http://br.kde.org>
 | TLUG <http://gtalug.org/wiki/Main_Page> |
PUG-CE<http://pug-ce.python.org.br/blog/>

Proteja meu endereço como estou protegendo o seu.
Não revele e-mail dos correspondentes: use Cco (Copia Carbonada Oculta).
Retire os endereços antes de reenviar. Dificulte assim a
disseminação de vírus e spam.