How to force a connection to go out of machine?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 16 20:55:12 UTC 2013

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:
>> >Say, I have 2 interfaces connected to a router:
>> >     - wlan0 = 192.168.1.3 -- wireless
>> >     - eth0 = 192.168.1.100  -- long cable
>> >Normally, the machine simply route the connection internally.  But,
>> >I need it to go to the router on "wlan0" and then back to me on
>> >"eth0", and vice versa.
>    You would need to, at least temporarily, add a static route.  What
> output do you get when you execute the 2 commands...

There's only a bridge between the WiFi and Ethernet sides of the
router.  There's no routing function at all, since they're on the same
subnet,  Since there's no routing, there's no static route that will do
what he wants.  The only way around this would be if the router
supported VLANs and a different VLAN and subnet were used for the two
interfaces.  The router would then route traffic between the two
subnets/VLANs.