Wifi activation problem - HP 2000

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 16 03:00:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Any chance this crazy system works:
>
> http://www.rubyops.net/fixing-wireless-on-the-hp-folio-13-when-using-linux

That sure sounds great; alas, it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

Something about it doesn't entirely make sense; in effect, it seems as
though the "solution" (temporarily removing the device driver hp-wmi)
removes ACPI support temporarily, thereby allowing rfkill to 'do its thing'
and unblock the network interface.

The ordering that is described for the sleep.d modules doesn't occur in
quite the right order to do this, alas.

Were it to work, I should be able to observe it in the much simpler case of
doing:

a) rmmod hp-wmi, to deactivate the offending HP driver,

b) rfblock unblock all, to reactivate wifi, then

c) modprobe hp-wmi, to put ACPI back in place so that I can hibernate the
system (and such like).

It still seems to be a NOOP, as far as unblocking wifi is concerned.

I have an alternate wifi stick, which works, so I have a usable workaround,
and it is demonstrably working, at the moment, as I am presently using the
laptop using the TP-Link "stick", which is how this email got out from the
laptop.  So 'tis functioning reasonably adequately.