High-res IPS L[EC]D monitors

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 15 16:27:45 UTC 2013

On 14 May 2013 15:18, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 02:59:01PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> The U3014 (current model) is AH-IPS and 10 bit per colour.  The older
>> U3011 is H-IPS and also 10 bit per colour.
>>
>> The U2713H is the same kind of display as the U3014.
>
> Interestingly the U2713HM is 8 bit per colour without FRC, which should
> actually be a nice screen for quite a bit less than the U2713H which
> has 10 bit (8 bit + FRC).  The H is wide gamut, the HM is standard.
> Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

This flurry of discussion around higher-than-1080p sends me back to
another discussion on this list a couple weeks ago about the Seiki 50"
4K (2160p) TV.  As discussed then, the review(s?) suggested it would
make a poor TV, but possibly a decent (certainly for the price)
monitor:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736&CatId=4717

I suspect anyone purchasing one as a monitor will need to rearrange
their workspace - and we'll all wait with eager interest the results
of this experiment.  Seems to me that you'll be spending not only
$1500 plus tax on the monitor, but another $500 on the video card to
drive it.  But it might be worth it ...

(I'm one of the 30" Dell owners, and I love the thing.  I have to
admit a 50" 3840 x 2160 monitor is a very, very appealing idea.)

Is it actually possible to drive this thing at full res?  Are there
any video cards (preferably Linux-supported) that can drive HDMI (this
thing doesn't seem to have DVI, and a quick scan of the DVI spec
suggests it doesn't get to 2160p anyway) at this resolution?  Of
course you're going to have to have a desktop: I can't imagine that
anyone makes a laptop that would support it.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org