Question about Compose key

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 13 18:40:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Stewart Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Pretty sure the VTs had a Gold key. Last used one in my first job, circa
> 1993, to talk to our analysis Vax. The Sun 3s I used through university,
> and the Sun Sparcs I used at Collins Dictionaries, all had a compose key to
> the right of the space bar.

What I was thinking of was the VT420, which had a Compose key beside the
space bar:

http://www.vt100.net/docs/vt420-uu/chapter4.html

Back in the day, it was enough trouble to get applications to recognize,
capture, and pass on special characters that it tended to be a more
attractive idea to use TeX encoding for special characters, and let TeX
handle the "transport" of such.