Wifi activation problem - HP 2000

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 13 06:41:27 UTC 2013

The Win 8 HP Wireless Button Driver seems to be in the ACPI tree.
That suggests to me that it bangs on some ACPI interface.

- perhaps "strings" on the driver would get the names of the
  entrypoints

- perhaps a disassembly of the ACPI firmware would show those
  entrypoints.  It should be reasonably easy to tell which
  entrypoints are specific to HP notebooks.
  (Note: ACPI disassembly is easy and not as hairy as real
  machine-code.)

The interface is probably dirt-simple.  After all, it is just a binary
switch.

PS: I'm no Windows expert, but I think that you can install a Win 8
with MBR partitioning, and do so under the license that you were
coerced into buying.  It would be interesting to see if, at the cost
of 40G of disk and an evening, you could deploy Win8 to flip that switch.