Wifi activation problem - HP 2000

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 12 15:53:54 UTC 2013

> Sadly, on my machine, the lock is handled via a "soft-key", essentially
via running Windows, and pressing "Fn-F12", which would cause a little LED
that is presently orange to switch to blue, and allow a different output
than rfkill is showing:

> root at hpaq:~# rfkill list 1
> 1: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
>         Soft blocked: no
>         Hard blocked: yes
> root at hpaq:~# rfkill unblock 1
> root at hpaq:~# rfkill list 1
> 1: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
>         Soft blocked: no
>         Hard blocked: yes
>
> I don't have any Windows install around, so can't reboot there to do a
switcheroo.  I see some suggestions that one might muss around in BIOS and
find an option that would force wifi to stay on; that does not appear to be
the case with this particular system.

> It is looking pretty likely, as consequence, that I'll need to grab a USB
wireless adapter for those times I want wireless, which is unfortunate, but
not too totally disastrous.

Crap, that kind of sucks. Which HP model is that? Would be good to name it
so that others can avoid it. Kind of take up back to win modem times.

> If there is some mechanism other than rfkill (in the rfkill package) to
switch that "hardware switch" (that isn't truly a hardware switch), 'twould
be nice.
> --

William