Debugging - Linux, Eclipse, JVM & Chromium

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 10 19:18:45 UTC 2013

Hi all,

For the past year or so I've been working with TI Canada on their Code
Composer Studio[1] product.  More specifically, I was tapped to help
with the GUI Composer[2] component which is a GUI generator based on
Maqetta[3].

Because the default SWT browser is an old Xulrunner (Firefox 10), a
few months back we started trying to embed Chromium in the product.
Everything "just works" under Windows.  Unfortunately, this is not the
case under Linux.  We're getting what appear to be completely random
crashes.

What follows is an email I received earlier today that lays out the
general situation.  I'm not really a Java guy and my C/C++ debugging
skills under Linux are extremely limited [the last time I used C and
C++ (for anything serious) was under Windows 98].

If anyone could provide suggestions on squeezing more information from
these segfaults, they would be most appreciated.

TIA,
- Scott.

[-- quote --]

I am seeing the crash randomly within the libjvm.so library.
Bascially, whenever I open the chromium browser view, it sometime die
right away or sometime in the future.

I first thought that it is a race condition, but I couldn’t find out
where the issue might be. Whenever it crash, there is little to no
stackframe available. So, this might not be the chromium code.

So, I search the web and people have run into similar issue with
eclipse, see <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eclipse/+bug/174759>.

>From this bug, people says to workaround the issue, use –Xint to tell
the jvm to run in interpret mode. This seems to help a lot. I don’t
see the crash, but things run a bit slower. Running thing slower might
help to prevent the race condition… So, I am still clueless on how to
debug the crash (segmentation fault).

BTW, I used CDT to attach the java process and debug the chromium C
code. I also created a simple SWT/Java (non-eclipse) app and host the
chromium browser, no crash is observed.

[-- /quote --]

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Composer_Studio>
[2] <http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Category:GUI_Composer>