Recommended Linux Distribution for Current Mandriva 2011.0 User

Paul Tarvydas paultarvydas-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 9 16:00:42 UTC 2013

On 13-05-02 02:13 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 08:51:17AM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I just have to ask...what was missing? I used Debian for years
>> and I can't remember ever missing anything. Do you mean Flash or something?
> Debian isn't missing anything.  It just happens to default to installing
> nothing which confuses some people.

Correct.

Although, it didn't "confuse" me.  It just pissed me off.

It was like using Windows.

Every time I wanted to accomplish something, I needed to install an
"update".  By the time it was finished, I couldn't remember what it was
I was trying to accomplish.

It continuously got in my way.

I've been developing real-time embedded software and compilers (not
linux development, not webserver development / deployment) for a living
for 30+ years.  I need all of the tools to be in place.  And the
"office" and web-client stuff just needs to be there and not irritate me.

And, I don't remember specifically what, but stuff in Wheezy and Squeeze
simply didn't work / crashed (probably youtube related?).

Mandriva was far superior in that regard (it was a stable, full-featured
Windows workstation replacement), except for the drama.

pt