Cutting the Cord Part 2: The Waiting

Paul Mora paul-HzDep54A8sA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 6 14:23:58 UTC 2013

Hi.

Yes, the modem does basic NAT, DHCP and port forwarding. and has support
for UPnP and DLNA. If you plug USB disks, sticks, and printers in, you can
share them as well.

The part that it doesn't do very well is anything else. For example, in my
house, I have rules that limit Internet use based on time of day (small
kids that can't get enough of Netflix, you know). It does have Wireless N,
and in my experience, it worked pretty well. I saw on some forums that the
wifi is not strong enough, but I didn't have that problem. The modem also
allows you to define static DHCP addresses.

Another neat feature that I've yet to see anywhere else, is a timed guest
WIFI network. Lots of routers have the guest WIFI feature, where you can
create a special network that can use the Internet but can't talk to any
machines on your home LAN. The modem allows you to do that, but establish a
time limit of how long it will be available. So for example, you want to
allow Internet access during a party you're hosting, but want it
automatically disabled after it's over.

I ran with just the modem/router for a month or so, and it worked fine. But
I needed the access control functionality.

As far as the sharing, it works on the old Windows 95 "share password"
feature, which didn't work at all on my Mac. The DLNA worked fine too; I
was able to watch videos hosted on the modem (on a USB stick or disk) on my
TV. Same for photos.

Evan, it sounds like the modem will just be a direct replacement for what
you had from Rogers, and should work fine. You really only have to be
concerned if you do anything like I described.

pm

--
*Paul Mora*
email: paul-HzDep54A8sA at public.gmane.org