Fwd: Celebrate Day Against DRM - Save 50% on *all* Ebooks & Videos. Today only.

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 3 20:42:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Tim Tisdall <tisdall-DXT9u3ndKiSh7up9GtFB90EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> I've found that I can access a lot of the O'Reilly books through the
> Toronto Public Library website's access to the Safari site.  Usually the
> most popular ones are a "trial" copy which has 2/3rds of the book blanked
> out, but I've managed to read whole books on there too.  Also, you can't
> download anything so you can only read why you're connected.

I'm closing in on 150 ebooks, just on my phone.  About a third of these
(43) are from O'Reilly (with the vast majority of the remainder coming from
FeedBooks).  I purchase from them - usually as 50% off deals - because of
their stance on DRM.

In fact, to-date I've only ever purchased ebooks from O'Reilly <
https://twitter.com/psema4/status/330413722440978433>

Were they DRM-laden, I wouldn't bother - I'd just get the physical books.
I've considered getting a Safari subscription but prefer to own the books.
I'd not want to loose access to these materials if I ever decided to
unsubscribe from the service: to be certain, the ebooks I've purchased have
helped me solve plenty of problems over the last few years.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems