Recommended Linux Distribution for Current Mandriva 2011.0 User

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 2 22:12:49 UTC 2013

I've been a big fan of Mandrake/Mandriva since about 1998/99. I loved
the urpmi suite of tools which brought apt-get sweetness to the rpm world.

For me Mandriva hit the wall a couple of years ago when the upgrade
introduced a brand new interface out of the blue. I had switched my wife
to Linux a year ago and she was just starting to get comfortable with
it. Business users don't care about fancy interfaces, they just want to
find their way (the same way) back to their documents every single day.
Also changes in the back-end made it harder for me to support it.

For these reasons, I switched all my desktops to Linux Mint running
Cinnamon. It's been great. (My wife had to go back to Windows because of
office/partner pressure and some bloatware running through IE only, but
she would have remained a happy Mint user if it were not for poorly
designed software and lack of Linux knowledge from her partners.)

Mint works really fine. I just bought a HP printer and I am happy to
report that (once again) it is easier to configure in Linux than in
Windows. In Mint, just add a printer and voilà! In Windows (7), you need
the install disk and time to run though multiple wizards, without
mentioning avoiding ads and useless offers.

Lots of my former buddies are working in Mageia. That is the one I would
try if I wanted to go back to the Mandrake/Mandriva way of life (and if
only I had time).

Marc