Pogoplug Mobile -- WTF?

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu May 2 14:28:08 UTC 2013

On 05/02/2013 03:34 AM, William Park wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that Pogoplug Mobile is on sale $20,
>      <http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1062_1064&item_id=043687>

And stock is zero across the board.

> Questions:
>
> 1.  It seems that you have to connect to their website while it's
>      connected, so that they can locate the device and "activate" it.
>      What if they want to do other things on my computer?

So, the pogoplug devices are a basically a small arm computer that's job
is to get your storage devices onto the internet. From there their
software (both on the plug and in the cloud) takes away the hard part of
NAT and port forwarding to make is accessible to anywhere.

http://pogoplug.com

> 2.  Also, another model (Pogoplug Office) has 5 client license.  Why do
>      they need license?

For multi-user access to the same device pogoplug device and support.

As geeks we understand this kind of remote access to our data, while
having it stored at our premise, is not difficult. It's not trivial, but
we can all make it work in rather short order.

Cloud Engins (the company behind pogoplug) is in the business of
providing consumer convince.

On a side note,

The pogoplug V2 was a great low-cost Linux computer a few years ago
because it had mass-volume production.

I've got 4, all running Fedora 18.
http://revident.net/projects/pogoplug/IMG_20130421_181700.jpg

Their only draw back is limited RAM and the fact that support of the
armv5 architecture is waning. Fedora will only be supporting armv7 and
aarch64* for Fedora 19 and forward.

* The name for armv8 64bit which will be arriving in silicon in the next
few years.

For armv5 that will leave Arch and Debian.

A nice reference for devices:
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms

--
Scott Sullivan