Mint 14 with MATE: DVD not mounted

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 31 22:13:25 UTC 2013

On 13-03-31 04:46 PM, ted leslie wrote:

> what does dmesg say during this. . and also at boot up?
> may want to turn off auto mount also while examining the issue.
> USB of sata/ide dvd?
> .tl

dmesg does not give any messages at all related to this; but an icon
appears on my desktop. The icon is useless, since Brasero won't record
on the device anyway (tried that). There are also no obvious kernel
errors at boot-up, tied to either the DVD-RW device or the
Blu-Ray-R/DVD-RW device (although it seems to be looking for a floppy
drive that doesn't exist - fd0). All connections on this machine are SATA.

It appears that just because the device icon is on my desktop, it
doesn't mean necessarily that it is actually mounted -- sda, sdb, and
sdc are my hard drive partitions, and there are no sdd or sde devices
which would give evidence that the DVD is detected.

As Hugh pointed out, this is all moot, since if the DVD is blank, there
is no filesystem there to mount anyway, so the fact that there is no sdd
or sde is correct behaviour for a disk with no fs on it.

Paul