ad-hoc connection on my nexus 10?

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 30 06:29:05 UTC 2013

On 03/29/2013 11:02 PM, Matt Price wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I have a google nexus 10 table,t which is in many ways kinda cool, but
> is by farthe worst distro to work with I've ever encountered.
>

> I'm taking a long car trip with my son and one of his friends.  They
> would liketo play minecraft together on their tablets, and in order to
> do so the tablets need to be able to communicate with each other.  But
> neither tablet is set up to create an ad-hoc network (the friend's is
> an ipad, so I don't know what to do with that).  Anyway, two possible
> solutions -- if I could get advice on either of htem, that'd be great.

So, not answering your direct question I do have some experience to
share about your end goal.

You mentioned that both kids are playing on their Tablets, this means
they are using Minecraft Pocket Edition. I've not played with the pocket
edition, but I know with the full version you need Internet access in
order to verify your player account. If this is also true for the pocket
edition, then they may not be able to play together.

The reason I say this is because of an experience I had while doing the
same thing with a bunch of laptops while at a Con.

I had my Nexus 4 setup as a hotspot and my laptop running the server
using the "Share with LAN" feature. Because I started my client before
setting up the wifi access point, I was playing in offline mode with the
"Player" user instead of my registered player account. When the other
folks got onto the wifi, the couldn't connect because they had also
started their clients in offline mode and we're trying to connect to my
"Shared to Lan" server with the same username as I had, ie "Player".

In my case they could easily restart their clients with the now
available internet from my phone, and it was then a non-issue.

If your in a non-internet situation, you may run into the same issue.

If this is not an issue for the Pocket Edition, consider spending the
$40 on a TP-Link TL-MR3020 to act as the AP. That way their not
dependent on your tablet or laptop.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tp-link-portable-3g375g-wireless-n-router-tl-mr3020/10066020
(Wanted to give the Canada Computers Link, but their website was
non-responsive at this time).

Also, very well supported by OpenWRT.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3020
Makes for great project fodder or a PirateBox.
http://daviddarts.com/piratebox-diy-openwrt

Also, finer point on terminology.

Most Cellphone or Tablet hot-spot my be "ad-hoc" from a logistical
perspective, the are not in fact "ad-hoc" in relation to the 802.11
terminology. "ad-hoc" in the later case refers to a mode in which wifi
devices run with out a managing wifi device, aka an access point. In the
former case of cells and tabs, they are running as a proper managing
access point.

Fedora recently introduced work to use proper AP based hot-spots where
ever it's support by the hardware.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RealHotspot#Detailed_Description

--
Scott Sullivan