Internet slows down after DNS attack on Spamhaus

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 28 16:19:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Neil Watson
<tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:39:25AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Plain old DNS is insecure.  This is part of why DNSSEC is being pushed,
>> but not very many places are using it.
>

> I want to like DNSSEC, but its complexity is off putting. Security
> should be simple. Inconvenient perhaps but still simple.

It's desirable for security to be simple; that doesn't guarantee that it
will be so.

What's unfortunate about DNSSEC is that it seems to make a bunch of
behaviours more brittle and prone to break down, which is, in the
"availability" sense, counter to 'good security.'

There are inherently conflicting purposes here...

- If I want to connect to my bank's web site, it is a pretty bad thing
  if I cannot connect to it.

- It is also a pretty bad thing if I get "spoofed" onto another web site.

Unfortunately, introducing DNSSEC increases the set of ways that I
might discover that I can't connect to my bank's web site.  It's not
obvious that customers will consider that to be a "feature."