aspect ratios are going the wrong way

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 14 21:53:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 02:54:52PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> Well 16:9 is popular because that's what HDTV uses.

  It's economies of scale.  A lot of 1920x1080 production is for TV
sets, from the 60" monstrosities down to 10" utility monitors.  If you
use those same screens for computer displays, that means you don't have
to invest millions/billions in separate fabrication facilities.
Essentially, a monitor is a TV without a tuner, or a TV is a monitor
with a tuner thrown in.  Using separate production facilities would
raise costs substantially, which is a killer in today's budget-based PC
market.  Apple has been able to use "retina displays", because they've
always been able to charge extra for their products.

  With ever-larger monitors, I've addapted to stuff like running two
960x1080 browser windows side-by-side.  This is actually works better,
because many websites seem to be set up by 19th-century-luddite
newspaper refugees who insist on portrait mode with small columns.